For most of my life, I have been in and out of doctors’ offices and waiting rooms- I was born with Cerebral Palsy. Throughout the seemingly never ending hours in those offices, I have had the privilege to meet many courageous children who have CP just like me, and parents of children with CP, just like mine. I am humbled by the many children with CP that I have met. The children and their parents inspire me because there are significant differences between me and the children. When I walk into the doctor’s office, I do it independently. However, many must do it with walkers, canes, if they are not confined to a wheelchair. The parents, many of them young, have the same expressions my parents once wore on their faces; expressions of pain, worry, and uncertainty for their child. I have had many an opportunity to listen to the dreams of the children I have met in those offices. Listening to them, I can’t help but see a younger version of myself in them. Let’s face it, how can you not see yourself in kids who have the same dreams you did when you were their age? For Example:
- Walking without leg braces
- Tying their shoes
- Puting their clothes on by themselves
- Not falling down in the hallway at school
As I listened their excitement would only increase and their smiles only get bigger. In contrast, their parents’ eyes would get watery because hope appeared distant. The parents would explain to me how worried they are about their child’s upcoming operation, medical bills, and future. These parents and children whom have met are some of the most genuine, loving, and courageous people I have ever encountered. In return for their inspiration I want to pay forward that inspiration with the gift of hope. Hope that their health insurance will pay for the next surgery or treatment without concern . Hope their child will walk. Hope to be independent in school. Hope that all their aspirations can be fulfilled.My mission is to assist children with CP and their parents who selflessly dedicate their lives to their children. As I embark on my next CP awareness campaign, “Pave Your Path Project”, I want to do all I can to bring those families’ hope and help to overcome their challenges by paving their path. Please help me to pay it forward by supporting the “Pave Your Path Project”. It will not only mean the world to me but, but also to the families who lives I am working to change.
Purpose and Goals
- Bringing hope to children and the parents of those who are struggling with CP or childhood disabilities.
- Raising awareness for children with Cerebral Palsy and other disabilities.
- Inspiring all people who are experiencing a detrimental disability, injury, addiction, or obstacle to overcome their adversity and use their “disadvantage” to their advantage.
- Helping to increase the funding for Cerebral Palsy treatment and research.
- Accomplishing various physical feats in Europe in dedication to those who have inspired me to overcome my own obstacles.
Vision and Execution
I am a firm believer that human potential can only be reached by those who make decisions out of love, not fear. Everyday I ask myself “what would you do if you weren’t afraid?” Now, it is not easy to face your fears or overcome obstacles, but it is necessary and it is possible. The perseverance and struggle through adversity is what allows you to grow positively as a person. Through the Pave Your Path Project, I intend to document my adventures across Europe this upcoming fall. I will be highlighting the physical challenges I experience and the struggles I work to overcome my Cerebral Palsy. As stated above, my goal is to show that dreams can be accomplished if you are supported with Hope and Faith and work to persevere through the obstacles. I will be documenting my adventures abroad this fall using:
- My Blog: www.paveyourpathproject.wordpress.com
- Instagram @Paveyourpath
- Twitter: @Paveyourpath
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTkNcZbtz90LUrQ1xCsMKIA/about
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I will be writing weekly to bi-weekly blog posts about my travels, encounters and takeaways in Europe. Periodically, I will be releasing YouTube videos highlighting of the adventures of my trip. Some videos will specifically focus on the physical challenges I participated in like hiking in the Swiss Alps, biking around Rome, or even sky diving in Sweden. Twitter and Instagram will be used to connect with my followers by providing up to date documentation of my journey as well interacting with my followers. I will be dedicating each feat to someone who has inspired me to accomplish what was thought I could not do. I will also encourage my social media followers to show how they pave their paths. Shortly after the conclusion of my Study Abroad Program I hope to release a documentary giving a more indepth look of my trip and its impact on me and others.
Over the next month before I leave I will continue to be raising funds, discovering different activities I can accomplish, and spreading my story and the stories of others through blog to gain a substantial foundation of followers who wish to be a part of my journey.
To assist me and my family in the funding of my trip and this project I have started a Kickstarter campaign. My goal is to raise at least $3000 within the next month before I leave for the various transportation and activity expenses I will in encounter in Europe. This will also allow me to involve all of you in my journey and hopefully help pave your path as well. If you feel compelled to donate to my Kickstarter page I would very much appreciate it. Keep in mind if I do not reach or exceed my $3000 goal by September 8th at 11:59 you will receive your money back.
The link to my Kickstarter is: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/402629616/the-pave-your-path-project
If You Cannot Donate
While funds are important, I am fully aware that there are other ways to support me in my journey, but there is so much more you can do!
- Spread the word! I need all the help I can get to spread my story and the story of others.
- Interact with me! I want to make this as much of your journey as it is mine. Follow me on social media Email your thoughts or send me blog topics to write about
- Suggest European venues to visit or events to participate in Present me with a challenge or experience
- Share your story with me so I can share it with everyone. Tell me how I can help you.
- Let me know if there’s something I can accomplish on your behalf.
- Ask me Questions, about anything you want answered.
- Keep me in your Prayers
Thank you for taking interest in my project to impact others’ lives. I hope you will join me as I pave my path through Luxembourg and Europe. Who knows, maybe in the process you will begin paving yours as well. Thank you again for your time, prayers, suggestions, and contributions and may God Bless you.